Monday, December 13, 2010

Advent Calendar

This is the project I have been working on for the past 3 weeks. It was a lot of work. It honestly would've taken me until next Christmas if my hubby wouldn't have been so helpful.


My hubby, the great guy that he is, did most of the work for the ornaments. I got a pattern and it had to be traced onto freezer paper and then you cut out the freezer paper and iron it onto the material. Finally cutting out the material and then the sewing of the ornaments began.

I love the tabs. I accidentally bought two different sizes of buttons and so the inside 2 are smaller than the outside 2 and you can hardly notice.


Cutting out the numbers was pretty tricky, so I used my little needlepoint scissors to cut more accurately. I also cut my binding material on the bias so it would give the edge a little candy cane look. I love it!

I am so excited about how it turned out and the girls just love to stare at it.

I purchased the pattern and material all at American Quilting. The color scheme and the material they had with the pattern was very drabby so I came up with my own idea and changed the material. I also changed the numbers because I didn't like the font they had in the pattern, I used felt instead of wool, and when my hubby was cutting the ornaments he didn't like some of them so he made up some of his own.  But the basic pattern is the same and really easy to follow.


11 comments:

  1. I think you are more dedicated that I would be...it looks awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...that looks so amazing! I am so in awe of your talents!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I have just come across you fantastic advent calendar, I can see you made this quite a while ago (so can't find it on the web link). Can I ask about the overall size and the size of the tree and pockets, or do you have the instructions still and are happy to share?
    Thanks Katy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it in my box of Christmas decorations so I'll have to look it out to get you the exact measurements. I don't know where my pattern is but I could email you the details when I get them. If you want to email me at daysmadesweet@gmail.com. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. That is beautiful! And now you have it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is beautiful! And now you have it forever!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so adorable!! I would love one of these but do not sew! Would you consider putting one together to sell? I know that is a ton of work to turn around and sell one...but just wanted to ask :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be willing to make you one! But it took so long to do that I would have to charge about $150 for it. The materials alone cost me about $50 and it took about 10 hours to make

      Delete
    2. This is beautiful, would you consider selling me one?

      Delete
  7. I would like to know if the green felt that you used for the tabs are double and stitched together or one piece only?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but its a single piece of felt with fabric ironed to it, folded over the rod. If that doesn't help feel free to email me at daysmadesweet@gmail.com :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...