Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cream Cheese Chicken Potato Soup

I love soup! I am always looking for new soups. I keep running into new versions of the chicken potato vegetable soup combinations that I love. I really like this one because I havent ever had cream cheese in a soup before and it makes it really creamy and a little tangy. Its so delicious! 


Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
Recipe Source: melskitchencafe.com

2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Onion, finely diced
2 Cloves Garlic, finely minced
1 can Corn
1 cup Carrots, diced
3 cups Chicken Broth
5 Red Potatoes, peeled and finely diced
1 cup Milk
4 Tablespoons Flour
1-8 oz pkg. Cream Cheese
2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and diced 

1. In a large pot, melt the butter and add the onion, garlic. Saute, stirring often, for 2 minutes, until the onions are translucent. Add the chicken broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook, partially covered, until the carrots are tender, about 12 minutes. Add the corn.

2. In a liquid measuring cup, vigorously whisk the flour and milk together until smooth. Whisk the mixture into the soup, stirring quickly, and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, until the soup begins to thicken slightly. Stir continuously to ensure the soup doesn’t burn. 

3. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave until it is very soft. Add the cream cheese to the soup in small tablespoon size pieces. Let the pieces sit in the soup and warm through then whisk or stir the soup until the cream cheese melts and mixes in well. Add the cooked chicken and heat through. 

4. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.

4 comments:

  1. Mmm this looks so creamy and delicious. I love new soups!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan I just made this soup tonight and it was so delicious!! I don't think it needed the whole package of cream cheese though and I think next time I will try cutting it down. I love that this recipe used NORMAL ingredients. All I had to buy was garlic and cream cheese. A lot of your recipes look good but they have expensive ingredients that I NEVER have on hand so I never make them. I love soups though and I want to find more soup recipes that have normal stuff in them that I can make!! Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your soup looks so good. I have lots of natural Greek yogert and wonder if I can substitute it for your cream cheese? The soup has all of the other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I substitute Greek yogert for the cream cheese?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...