Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Rock Salt Roasted Chicken

When I found this recipe I was intrigued but to me roast chicken sounds like something you would have for Sunday dinner and I never make Sunday dinners. We always go to my parents for dinner, its actually a pretty sweet set up. So when my parents went out of town I had a chance to make it for Sunday dinner.

Cooking a chicken on rock salt, how would that make it so moist it melts in your mouth? I have no idea but I was so surprised and in love! It was moist, flavorful, and we ate it on sandwiches for days after and it stayed moist. I don't know what words to say but its the BEST roasted chicken I've eaten. Seriously. Make it. Stay home on Sunday and make this.
 

Rock Salt Roasted Chicken
Recipe Source: MelsKitchenCafe.com

1 Whole Chicken, about 4lbs
4lb box Rock(Ice Cream) Salt
1 Lemon
4 Sprigs Parsley
3 Garlic Cloves, peeled and sliced

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9X13 pan with foil. Pour the rock salt into the pan, making it even and smooth.
 
2. Discard the giblets from inside of the chicken. Rinse the inside and outside of the chicken and drain. Salt and pepper the inside and outside of the chicken. Poke the lemon with a fork several times. Put the lemon, parsley, and garlic into the cavity of the chicken.
 
3. Secure the chicken closed with some toothpicks. Place the chicken on the salt and bake for 40 minutes, then flip the chicken over and bake for another 50 minutes.
 
4. Check the thickest part of the chicken breast with a thermometer. It should read 165 degrees F. Cook for an additional 10 minutes at a time checking the temperature after each until the desired temperature is reached.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...